Friday, December 28, 2018

Paris-London 2018 Day 5 Part 1: Taking the train to London from Paris

When we travelled in May, we were worried a lot about the strikes that the different train companies were having. They do list the days that they are going on strikes so as long as you book your tickets in advance and there is no last minute cancellation of your trains, it is quite safe.

But Garu de Nord Station itself is notorious for pickpockets soooo as usual stay alert as you are handling your luggages and going through immigration.

We made sure that we caught an uber much earlier in case we couldn't get one but Uber has been really reliable and we never waited for more than 1 minute till our request was accepted and never more than 7 minutes for the uber to come so it's great!

I didn't take any pictures so just read these carefully.

When you enter Garu De Nord you will see loads of tains at first but this is not the Eurostar platform. If you look around you will notice stairs and escalators going up to the second floor, and hopefully a banner or a sign that says Eurostar.

I had to fill in the immigration cards and to my horror all the pencils and pens were worthless there they were either broken or out of in. Bring your own stationery. I even left one pen behind hoping it will help out someone else in need urgh.

After that pass through immigration as a family and you will be able to walk to your platform where your train is.

Be very alert as to the timing of your train coz I so kan chiong I made my family go down and almost board the train. Thankfully there was staff along the platform who insisted to see my ticket again and told me that you are at the right cabin and right platform but your train is the next one. Urgh.

I remember being confused because there weren't very clear like screens or signs or what sooooo do take note!

While waiting there is also food available like Costa Coffee, Paul etc, of which we bought a bit of food to make it through the train ride to London.









The train ride itself was uneventful. I personally don't find sitting against the train's direction to cause any motion sickness and my mum also commented that when she booked the ticket she couldn't tell whether the seats were facing the right way. But thank God she got it right so we just had one seat against the train's direction which I took.

When we arrived at St Prancas and then to King's Cross station, I could tell that we were at a new country haha it looked and felt so much more different. Vibrant and to some extent, a bit safer O_O

And at King's Cross station there were already a few shops to do shopping so I decided to just quickly head to the Harry Potter 9 3/4 shop :>







This shop was super crowded and I went away with 2 keyrings that cost a bomb yikes. But I didn't spend on anything else that was bulky coz not many close friends of mine are harry potter fans anyway.

As you can see from the pics you can also take a picture with the famous trolley but do take note that when it is after opening hours they will REMOVE THE HALF TROLLEY AND KEEP IT SAFE soooooo going there after certain hours will reveal to you a sad blank wall (thanks to my friend who landed himself in this situation now I know!)

The lines were really long though since it was a sunday and I decided simply not to queue and to just grab a picture from the side. The staff are really quite nice they will help you take the pictures and even pass you the scarf or help you to throw it so that it looks as though you are running into the wall.

I had a bit of an issue with UBER because despite putting my pick up location according to my GPS, there were a few places to be picked up and I cannot seem to find my driver. People I asked were not very helpful either so :(

Luckily the driver was nice so we only kena a late fee of 1 Pound which is like whatever la nvm one.