Sunday, July 27, 2014

Day 2 Seoul: Bonjuk Porridge, Myeongdong, Dongdaemun

EDIT: I went to Seoul again in 2017! Click my 'seoul' tag to see how my latest trip went!

Day 2!
My family doesn't like to give up. So we came back to Edae again to eat the bonjuk porridge!
Honestly we didn't have to, becuase later the trip we found bonjuk pretty much at all the places we went to :/ Hongdae have, myeongdong have, angguk have haha. The Edae branch has about 18 seats only. So if you have a large family beyond 4 people... it may be a bit hard to get a seat

For Edae, go to exit 2 and then walk straight ahead like walking to the university, after passing artbox you should see a road, turn left and walk down a bit. Bonjuk will be on the ground floor to your left. CLOSED ON SUNDAYS I REPEAT

Hmm must try the abalone porridge! Just to taste. I liked my mum's oyster and mushroom porridge more. As my dad was hungry, we ordered a third bowl of pumpkin porridge, which was really nice too! But honestly... it's not fantastic to a point I would have to eat it again :/
 The set it comes it
 Abalone and oyster porridge!
 Pumpkin porridge


We shopped a little more at Edae before heading to Myeongdong! Below is a blood donation centre, with Sulli of f(x) as the poster girl! Which I forgot to take a pic of.


Myeongdong!

We walked in an anyhow fashion coz there were simply too many shops there aiyo.
We ate lunch first at the Myeongdong Gyoza. I can only tell you that it's near the east of myeongdong, near artbox! :X



Gyoza was not bad! Noodles was good too. Most importantly it was an affordable meal ;D



These information people are SUPER IMPORTANT. Get a hardcopy map from them if you don't have one and the map should contain the names of the restaurants and shops! I walked to the north of myeongdong and somehow spotted an tourist information counter! I'll do my best to scan a map or give better directions when I find the time.

One of the greatest recommendation given to me is to visit this place called O'sulloc that served Jeju green tea items like cakes and tea. Located north of myeongdong, next to the macdonalds


JUST LOOK AT THIS. Cakes were amazing, ice cream was amazing. But dad went to order some weird green tea which had soya in it yikes tasted so weird. Prices were a bit pricey but I really think it was awesome! Starbucks price la. A MUST GO for all green tea fans.




Ok so I just wandered around myeongdong looking around. TBH I didn't buy much from here.. everything was... just not attractive :/







Go ahead and try their street food! It's not bad but check the price sia. Some quite ex actually don't need to bother trying. The lemon juice was deadly.... SORE THROAT ALERT. 

One thing annoying about Myeongdong is how they treat foreigners. Esp for skincare brands. Highly competitive, they wave samples at you to get you to come into the store, and then when you get out, TECHNICALLY you can take the sample (mask or some cream) even if you don't buy anything. But some stores actually asked me to return the sample to them O_O like whut. I was told otherwise. Was really looking forward to getting loads of samples to try but nope. Nothing much. Okay la what to do. 

Oh yes about foreigners. Just coz I speak chinese, doesn't mean I'm from china. Please don't look at me like I'm dirt, please don't talk bad about me in korean thinking I can't understand. Coz I can. And seriously, because of how some of the staff treated me I AM NOT coming back to myeong dong. Much rather shop at other places where the staff are less competitive and more polite. I should have left the shop who talked bad about me, but I already paid for my items. Bleh. This is not the majority, there were some really nice staff BUT GENERALLY the vibe and eagerness to serve is truly not there. 

At the metro station itself you'll be able to find a small stretch of shopping. this large pastry ball that tastes sweet and crunchy! I tried one in Singapore before, tastes best with either tea or coffee.

And of course the most important kpop shop?! Bought an album here. So cheap compared to online blogshops and especially compared to brick and motar CD shops.

There are 2 actually! This is the other one.

For dinner we settled for Yoogane, a chicken galbi place where they stir fry the food in front of you. We chose the chicken and octopus one, only to realise the octopus became really small after frying! :X ah well it tasted good still.



The shopping didn't stop, coz we then headed to Dongdaemun to shop from 9pm! 
Migliore closes on monday. Thanks ah -_- but it's ok there were other malls!

Went to Doota! first... but boring -_- and expensive


We then went to hello apm which was better priced... but we didn't buy anything either :/ I heard that migliore is similar to Thailand's pratunam. And I think hello apm was similar too. One thing though... I'm too lazy to bargain. A lady offered to sell me a dress for 25,000 first. And I said no I'm just asking. She dropped it to 20,000 and when I started to walk away she offered to drop it even lower. So if you wanna come here, be prepared to talk and bargain a little!


That concludes my day 2 in Seoul. I honestly did not enjoy these two places, in comparison to an awesome place I found on day 4! :X Myeongdong was a little pricey and the vibe was just not welcoming in any way. Dongdaemun was overpriced at some places and generally boring. I may have went at the wrong time (monday 9pm), but there were very little stores on the streets too. So please do sufficient research on where to go at dongdaemun before you make a trip there!

Sad that we had to miss this. It wasn't part of our agenda since our dad would have been bored anyway. Ah well!

If you liked this post, click "SEOUL" under the label portion on the right hand column and see more of my adventures :D